Autumn is a wonderful time of year, with its vibrant foliage, cooler weather, and fun activities surrounding Thanksgiving and Halloween. Although many of us are unhappy that summer has officially come to an end, the last thing we want to think or talk about is the W word (did you get chills just thinking of it?!?)
Here are 10 simple tips to get your home Winter-ready in no time:
1) Clean all eavestroughs of leaf and other debris to avoid ice damming. You may also consider installing covers to prevent future debris build-up.
2) Inspect your roof for any loose or missing shingles.
3) Mow your lawn to about 2 inches and leave some fallen leaves to encourage healthy growth in the spring.
4) Trim back perennials and bushes, as well as any weakened branches that could fall under the weight of snow.
5) Check for drafty areas around doors and windows, remedy with caulking or weather strips.
6) Inspect any peeling paint around windows and doors. Touch up with a good quality exterior paint to protect surfaces from damage.
7) Turn off all exterior water lines and drain them of excess water.
8) For wood burning fireplaces, have the chimney and vents cleaned. Depending on use, this should be done once every 1-2 years.
9) Furnaces will benefit from routine maintenance to run efficiently and save you money on your energy bill.
10) Insulate any pipes that may be susceptible to freezing (basement, attic, etc) to prevent damage.
We are here for your home needs! We will be more than happy to help with any questions you may have. 2Steps2Home has an ever-growing database of London professionals to help with any repairs or recommendations.
O: 519-438-8000 ext. 134